2/02/2010

Dress addiction


I am sure you all know I have an addiction to Dresses. I love feeling girly in them with some sexy high heels. There is nothing like wearing a beautiful dress from my favorite place shabby apple.

But I have a dilemma!!!

With all the weight I have lost... my beautiful dresses are becoming saggy and shapeless. As you can see shabby apple dresses are not cheap and I refuse to give up on them. REFUSE!

But I SUCK at sewing. It has never interested me AT ALL. But I am determined to get over this and alter my beautiful dresses so I can keep on wearing them.

So I am turning to you crafty, amazing and talented women out there....Does anyone have any suggestions on sewing websites or secret tricks about altering clothes??? I am a sewing virgin and could use ALL the help I can get!!!! PLEASE HELP!

7 comments:

Shaun and Kelli said...

Talk to Katie's mom. She's the expert! (I can't sew at all, something I completely regret now, haha).

MandiScandal said...

1) i LOVE shabby. my friend kate actually works for them and personally sends out everything that gets shipped from utah.

2) because i love shabby so much i would say DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT alter them yourself. abandon ship! i have a great alterations place that I take expensive stuff to, and stuff like hems or fixing silly stuff i do myself. Until you practice I wouldn't do it yourself. It's so much more worth it to pay to have a few things altered while you are learning how to do it yourself than to ruin expensive dresses, even if there are a lot. do like two a paycheck... that's just one woman's advice.

Randi said...

Sorry, can't hep you with that one. I would just take them to a tailor. ps: why are there pictures of hookers on your blog?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mandi! With those dresses - it'd be worth to spend the extra money to get it done right - not saying you couldn't alter them - but you will regret if something goes wrong!! Practice on your old dresses - but those gorgeous shabby dresses I admire that you ALWAYS buy.. do it professionally!! :)

Alicia said...

Well I'd love to help you, but I as well have never been interested in sewing. Good luck!

Jenny said...

I would probably take them somewhere too, unless they are fairly easy fixes. If you did decide to do it yourself it would be best to practice first on items you wouldn't be upset possibly ruining.

I haven't been sewing for very long, but since I've started it is surprisingly easier and more fun than I expected. But before I cut into the expensive fabric when I am trying a new pattern I make a mock-up with supper cheap stuff! Sewing something the 2nd time around is much easier.


With your great taste I would LOVE to see what beauties you would come up with!

Sarah said...

I actually just started taking a sewing class one night a week. I definitely like the idea of taking them somewhere until you're confident in your skills. Look around the community to see if there's anything like that out there. My class is only $45 so it's pretty cheap too! Congrats on needing to alter your dresses!!