2/07/2009

Rising from the ashes

It's funny how life teaches me and humbles me each and every day. Thursday night, I had just had it! Work had really stressed me out, as soon as I got home I had to write a paper and take a test, go to the gym and I didn't even get to work out as long as I would have liked, couldn't find a parking space on campus, I was late to class and to top it all off it was cold and rainy! I was feeling pretty badly about myself for no particular reason, just being an insecure girl I suppose. Needless to say, I was pretty grumpy and was complaining to myself the whole way to class. The topic for my Family Crisis Intervention class that night was on resilient people. We were introduced to an amazing woman named Becca Levie. She is someone who has truly risen from the ashes. A brief history on Becca. She was born to a mother who grew up as a teen prostitute. She married young and wanted nothing to do with children. When Becca was born with a serious heart deffect, it was more than her mother could handle. So often when Becca would cry as just a young child, she would get beaten with a wooden spoon. When she was just 6 years old, her mother literally dropped her and her two sisters off on the side of the road and told them to play with some puppies that were there. She never saw her mother again. She was placed with her father, where the abuse continued so she eventually ended up in the foster care system. At the young age of 13, she tried to take her life. Luckily, a friend saved her and she was sent to counseling which was a life changing experience for Becca. The counselor told her some powerful words by Eleanor Roosevelt: "The future belongs to those who believe in their dreams". She literally turned her life around and blossomed like a rose in the desert. She went on to do some amazing things with her life including winning the title of Mrs. Utah a few years ago and now spends her life as a motivational speaker and has written books on her life to help others. It really softened my attitude on the small, meaningless things I was unhappy about on that particular day. It really taught me a lesson that no matter how bad things may get or how wet your shoes are from walking in the rain, you should never let the advesary get you down, because nothing can take away your dreams and the things that truly make you happy. Becca says it best: "When the prayer of your mouth matches the prayer of your heart, this is when God can really use you".

This was an eye opening experience for me and I really wanted to share it with all my loved ones. I know how so many, women especially, that struggle with depression and self worth. Her website has some pretty wonderful tips on how to reduce things like negative self talk (something I really struggle with in particular), overcoming adversity and so on. Take a peek if you have a moment, I think you will find it worth your time.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, thanks for sharing!
I love the new look of your blog!

Hillary said...

That's a cool story! Where did you get your header and background? I love it!