11/21/2008

An attitude of Gratitude

Our November issue of the "Ensign" still has not come, so for visiting teaching this week, I looked up an article on lds.org, and I searched "gratitude", which I thought would be a good Thanksgiving message to give. I found a great talk by President Monson titled "Attitude of Gratitude". Basically he just lists the things he is most grateful for, and it really made me reflect on the things I am grateful for in my life. He listed 6 specific things:

1. Mothers- i truly feel spoiled having the mother I have. My mom is a pretty special lady. Something I admire about her is the ability she has to reach out to all people. Almost every major holiday and a lot of sunday dinners were filled with strangers that she invitited that had nowhere else to go. She is a pretty amazing woman and continues to bless my life. I am very grateful for my Mom.

2. Fathers- Besides Geoff, my dad is probably my best friend. For those of you who know my dad, you know what a strong, spiritual leader he is. He was just recently released from the stake presidency, after 13 years of being a bishop or in a stake presidency. He never once complained of what was asked of him and served with all his heart. I am grateful for my father.

3. Teachers- I am glad President Monson mentioned teachers since both Geoff and I plan to be educators for life. i have been very blessed with some incredible teachers in my life. I had a fifth grade teacher, Mr, Holland, that has had a great impact on my life. One day, a rude 5th grade boy was making fun of me pretty harshley, and Mr. Holland pulled me aside and made it very clear how special he thought I was, and to never give up on myself. I still remember that to this day. i am grateful for the teachers in my life.

4. My county- I feel so blessed to live in this great country. it's nowhere near perfect, but there is so much good that comes from the United States of America. Without this promised land, the gospel would not have been restored. I am so grateful for my country.

5. My friends, My spouse- I have some of the greatest friends in my life. I can honestly say that the best friends in my life are my siblings. One of my greatest blessings is my sweet husband Geoff. I will save you all from all the mushy talk, but Geoff has blessed my life more than he will ever know. He is the kindest, sweetest, most thoughtful man I have ever met. i will always be thankful for my friends and my sweet husband.

6. My savior- Of course, President Monson said the greatest blessing we all have is our savior, Jesus Christ. It is really hard for me to put into words how I feel about our Savior, so i will just say this: I know he lives and I will forever be in debt for what he has done for me in my life. i am grateful for Him.

I am so thankful I came upon this talk. Sometimes I feel like I complain about the small things in my life that I don't like that sometimes I take all these blessings i have in my life for granted. I am going to try harder to live with my life with an attitude of gratitude.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

thanks for this. having gratitude just makes life better!

Sundee said...

I will have to read his talk. I think gratitute is the true key to happiness.