7/01/2010

On my mind

Today I am thinking a lot about one of my heroes.


His name is Brett Nelson.


Yes, that's my little brother.


Today he is in surgery for his back. About 4 years ago, he started having back problems. Severe back problems.

So he is really on my mind today.

Let me tell you why Brett is my hero.

Never once has he given up, even with all the adversity he has gone through. Back pain (so i have heard) is some of the worst pains you have to live with. And being over 6 foot 5 only intensifies that pain. Brett has not had an easy go in life all the time. He was an athlete in high school, the ONLY member of the church in his circle of friends and he never once let his standards fall. Often times, he would be home on a Friday night because his friends were doing things contrary to his standards. He is simply amazing in my eyes.


Brett is unlike any other guy I know. Besides my own husband, I know of no better guy than him. He literally has a heart the size and Texas. So many times, when I was living in Logan and he lived around the corner from me, I would go outside my door to find a note telling me he loves me and an ice cold diet coke (my favorite). Seriously, what brothers do that for their sisters?


At this very moment, Brett is in surgery. My heart is full of gratitude for Brett. I am praying that this surgery is a success so that he can be rid of some of the pain and heart break he has felt the last few years. His size in stature doesn't even compare to the size of his heart.


Today, more than anything, I am just so grateful I am HIS sister and that I am blessed to learn so much about overcoming adversity from this special guy.

3 comments:

Sam and Kat said...

*like* button hehe... love him to death!! i'm equally as grateful that he is my awesome cousin. hope it all goes well!

MandiScandal said...

isn't it the best to have a wonderful brother? i always say ill never be able to find a man to date/marry who is as good to me as my brother. he isn't as tall as brett, but he def makes up for it. lol. my brother always puts me before him, and is the most kind, caring, thoughtful guy I know. When I wanted to quit my job he told me he would pay for all my bills for a few months because he wanted me to be happy and figure things out. what!!?! How did we luck out with these amazing men?

I hope his surgery went well!

Alicia said...

Hey Cami, I hope the surgery went well! I'm going to guide J to this post...