8/08/2011

Payton Geoffrey Brown


If you don't already know by now, Geoff and I have had the most amazing miracle happen in our family. This weekend we adopted the most precious little boy who was born on August 5, 2011, weighing 8 lbs 4 oz and measured 20 inches long. He is perfect and healthy and just a true miracle to us.

So many people have asked the story behind this little guy, so here it goes. Many of you know we were approved for adoption at the beginning of April. We debated for a few weeks whether or not to advertise our profile on this national website called parentprofiles.com due to the expensive price-tag of it all. But after deliberating over it for awhile, we posted our profile on this website and almost immediately we began receiving emails and phone calls from birth-mothers from all over the country. On July 10th, we were contacted by one birth-mom in particular who was from North Texas and stated after much searching she just knew we were the ones she wanted to be her baby's parents. After several days of talking, she officially asked us if we would adopt her baby and we felt an over-whelming feeling that THIS was the baby Heavenly Father intended for us. We told very few people that we had been picked because with adoption, nothing is certain until the papers are signed so that is why this little guy came as such a surprise to so many.

The few weeks we waited for him to come to us were intense. She didn't have a clear due date, so we just had to keep busy and prepare as best as we could for the baby to arrive. On Sunday July 31st, our birth-mom contacted us that she thought she was in labor and she was going to the hospital. After hours and hours, the doctors sent her back home saying it wasn't time yet. They went ahead and scheduled the C-Section for the following Friday (August 5th) and said as long as her amniocentesis came back OK, they would deliver then. That was probably the longest week of our lives. Geoff decided to quit his summer employment early to prepare for the next year of teaching and start getting lesson plans ready. So he kept busy doing that, and I pretty much was a mad woman for the next few days. I felt more anxiety than I had ever felt in my life. I was worried that something would happen that our birth-mom would change her mind. I had already quit my job at my school so that I could be at home with this little guy so I was afraid I did that too soon and yada yada. Geoff suggested so many times that we pray... and I always followed his advise and almost immediately was reassured that all is well.

When August 5th finally rolled around, I could barely sit, stand or think to do anything. I wanted to know everything that was going on, but we decided we would wait to hear from the hospital before we left to Wichita Falls (where the baby would be born) so we would know for sure he was going to come that day. At about 1:30 I had this over-whelming feeling that Geoff and I needed to begin praying. As I began to pray, the distint impression came over me to quit worrying about myself and to pray for our sweet birth-mom and the agony she was going through. I prayed for her to have strength to make the right choice, I prayed for her to feel His love for her. I prayed for her to feel our love for her.

An hour and a half later, we got a phone call from our case worker saying the baby had been born and he was perfect and healthy. We ran around the house like crazy people throwing things in our suitcase and jumping up and down in excitement. We had a six hour drive ahead of us and I swear it felt like it was about double that. The anticipation of meeting our little man was almost too much to handle. We were crying the whole way up and just in such awe of love our Father in Heaven had for us to bless us in such an incredible way.



When we got to the hospital in Wichita Falls, it was around 9 and the hospital had a room all prepared for us. To make it easier on herself, the birth-mom asked to not have contact with us and the baby at all. She decided it was best for her and all who were involved for it to be that way... So the hospital staff let us know that we would be caring for the baby during his stay there.



When the nurse rolled our little guy in, we were both shaking. Meeting him for the first time was the most amazing moment and one I will never, ever forget. I felt pure love wash over me and I just knew with all my heart that I was this sweet little boy's Mother. I scooped him up in my arms, and Geoff and I stood there holding each other and sobbing. All those years of heartbreak, disappointment and grief all made sense in that moment. I knew why I had to go through so much to get to this little guy. I realized JUST how perfect God's plan was for Geoff and I during those quiet first moments with Payton.



We were able to have Payton sleep in our room and we were the ones who fed, changed him and snuggled him his entire stay in the hospital. It was the most incredible experience for us. One that we will never forget. I am so excited to be Payton's Mom. I am more in love with Geoff after seeing him love our little boy so freely and care for him in a way I didn't know was possible.



I am just overwhelmed with gratitude to such a strong birth-mom. I will always love her. She is our angel and I will never be able to repay her for the gift she has given us. All we can do is give Payton the best life we can and to love him always. I am so grateful for such a kind, loving Heavenly Father. We recognize this little miracle was not a coincidence at all and that He was the one who orchestrated these events leading up to Payton's arrival. August 5th is my Dad's birthday and has always been special to me. Now with it being my little boy's birthday, it will now become one of the greatest days of my life.

30 comments:

Annalise said...

Wow, what a story! Unbelievably excited and happy for your family!

Tanya Hinson said...

What an amazing story of love and the watchful eye of the Lord to all of his children. I am over joyed for your growing family. Congratulations in the start of parenthood and a beautiful family!

valerie said...

I was pretty much just bawling while I was reading this. You guys are such amazing people and you will be great parents. You can tell that he belongs to you and he is yours. Congratulations! I can't want to watch him grow!

Tiffany said...

dying over this blog post cami! he is darling and seriously, i cried reading that. i can't imagine what you have gone through emotionally the past several years. your description of your experience this past weekend was amazing. loved reading it. keep us updated with payton. i am seriously so touched and so excited for you!

Sarah said...

happiness... sigh... this is wonderful. Heavenly Father truly is watching over each of us. love you!

Homeschool Mamma said...

Your post made me cry. I am so happy for you both! You will be wonderful parents and give little Peyton so much love! -Christina and Ryan Weight

Angela S said...

I so grateful for you guys and this opportunity. You'll do wonderfully. Congratulations!

Than & Lina said...

We are so happy for you! I enjoyed hearing your story and am so excited for you! You will be amazing parents!

Ryan and Tawnee said...

Wonderful to read your post today, so excited for all of you! So happy that you have had your very own miracle.

Katie said...

Congratulations Cami and Geoff! I've been following your blog for a while and I'm so glad you finally get to take home your precious son! Get ready for a wild ride!

Lindsay said...

So beautiful. Thank you for sharing that with us. He is truly one blessed little boy to come to such an amazing family. I am SO thrilled for you!

Sundee said...

So happy for you both! Congratulations on your new baby boy!

Chris said...

I've been so amazed by your strength through the short time I've known you. Reading through this and knowing the trials you've faced in the past, in addition to your burning desire to be a Mother, had tears streaming down my face.

It sounds like Uncle Chris is going to be visiting Texas for a baby blessing soon!

So, so, so happy for you guys. Lots of love from my heart and home to yours.

Kari said...

This seriously made me cry. I was so excited for you when Kelli called and told me the incredible news. And now after reading your whole story I couldn't be happier for you guys. Peyton couldn't be in a more perfect home with the two most amazing parents! Best of luck to you as you begin this journey of parenthood together and enjoy the amazing blessings that come from being a mother! I hope to someday soon get to meet the special little guy next time I visit Texas! Love you girl!

Tonya said...

Congratulations - You'll be fabulous parents!

Keith and Beth Brown said...

Geez Cami, your post made me sob and I was overcome by the spirit. I too know that he was meant for you guys. You will be the greatest parents to little Paytona and we cannot wait to meet him. We are all part of this great big plan and now he is part of that plan for all of us. You are truly special to receive such a sweet little spirit. We love you and miss you dearly.

Kellee said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it. I've been anticipating and excited to hear about it. Can't get over how happy I am for you. I've been putting your names in the temple and praying for this day for a long time. That is one lucky little boy to come to your home!

The Huffs said...

Congrats to you both! You guys will be the best parents. You will love having a boy. They are so fun. Love you and hope you guys are getting enough sleep :)

Ash and Joe said...

such a wonderful story! thank you for sharing. could not be more happy for you and your family!

the Smiths said...

Amazing! Congratulations, you are going to do so well.

Randi said...

I just don't have any words to express how happy I am for you guys. That story gave me chills. He is so beautiful and you are going to be the best parents ever! What a brave birth mom. That would be so hard. Good for her, and so good for you guys! I can't wait to see more pictures of him and see him grow, and meet him someday!

Stacie said...

I loved reading this post! Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Brings tears to my eyes! You guys are going to rock as parents! NO Doubt! Our little girl is due August 24th, we should hook them up in 16 years :)

Webb Crew said...

I love this story. Thank you for sharing it with us all. I am so happy and I just want to hold that sweet little guy. What a miracle and a blessing from Heavenly Father. Congrats!

Jeff and Kira said...

I am so happy for you guys! That is such a wonderful story. Nothing is more rewarding in life than being a parent...especially a mother! I am so excited for you to now have one of your own. The Lord is truly mindful of us and does bless us beyond measure.

Anonymous said...

I am weeping tears of joy for your beautiful family. Congrats on the arrival of Peyton! And cheers to all the moments and years ahead of pure joy that he will bring to your family unit. Love, Lins

Christa Elyce said...

AMAZING! I'm so glad you have the family you dreamed of! Love to you all!

Jenni and Eric said...

Congratulations! Adoption is such a miracle in so many ways:)

eden and david said...

Wonderful story! Can't wait to meet him!

Kim said...

Congratulations! Payton is adorable. It's awesome to read another successful adoption story. I'm so happy for you!!

Jancisco said...

I love this story. I'm so happy for you guys. The feelings you described about meeting him in the hospital are exactly how I felt about meeting my own kids. Thanks for reminding me of these sweet miracles.