12/04/2009

Couldn't ask for more.

I know I keep talking about our move to Texas but I guess I am just overwhelmed with all the changes right now. I am so excited to be near my family and for this new chapter of our lives to begin but today was really hard for me.

Every Friday at work we have a team meeting where my boss and I instruct our staff on issues and concerns we have with clients and I always do some sort of training as well. I think today it really hit me I will no longer be apart of this. I will no longer lead such an amazing group of people who have forever changed me. My clients, all 29 of these adults with disabilities, are some of the greatest examples I have ever encountered of Christ-like love. Just today here are 2 short experiences I had with two individuals that touched my heart and let me know all will be well.

First, one client of mine who is what you would call "high-functioning" talked to me after he heard that next Friday will be my last day. He asked me what was going to happen at our building when I was gone. I told him things would be fine and everything would be normal and the girl who is taking my place is going to do an excellent job. Then he got really quiet and said that I made an impact in his life, especially in the recent passing of his brother and wanted to thank me for that. The spirit overwhelmed me at that moment. I think I needed to hear that right then because I was having a selfish moment of feeling replaceable and forgetable even after having been here for 4 years. (dumb, I know). I told this client how much that meant to me and I said a silent prayer of gratitude for this particular young man.

Second, one of my non-verbal clients who I am extremely close with and would adopt in a heart beat if the state of Utah would let me, came up to me and signed he wanted to talk to me. I followed him to our usual spot where we have our daily "talks" where he will sign to me (in his own way) of whatever is on his mind. Usually I really don't know exactly what he is talking about, but he is so enthusiastic you can't help but love these moments with him, even if they make no sense. But today it was different. It made perfect sense to me. He simply signed he loved me. Immediately my eyes welled up with tears thinking about how perfect this young man is and wondered if he really knew how much I love him back. So I broke a rule at work (terrible I know) and signed I loved him back. I had to take a quick walk outside to regain my composure and say yet another silent prayer thanking Heavenly Father for this wonderful experience I have had. It hasn't ever felt like a "job". It has been a privilege and an honor to be apart of their lives. I just hope they know how much I love them.

I will miss these little moments in my daily life. I want to get a 27 foot truck, kidnap them all, and take them with me to Texas. I will be forever grateful for these experiences where I feel the Savior's love through these special individuals.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

wow cami! thanks for sharing. it's nice when you get experiences like that just when you need them. what an awesome job!

Talia said...

I have never met you , but i'm a friend of Geoff from way back. I am glad to hear that you love your job working with well i'm not really sure but from what I can tell "special needs" people? I only wish that there were more of you out there. As a parent of an autistic child I am very glad that there are people like you. Keep up the good work.

P.S. Tell Geoff that Talia says HI!